Spirit Bear Lodge
Day 1 Vancouver - Klemtu
The tour departs from Vancouver International Airport's South Terminal where you’ll catch a flight towards Bella Bella. Upon arrival in Bella Bella, you’ll be greeted by a guide. you’ll board the water taxi for a scenic 90 minute ride to Spirit Bear Lodge in Klemtu. Upon arrival, you receive a short orientation to the tours, viewing opportunities and facilities. (D)
- Accommodation : Hotel
Day 2 Klemtu
After breakfast, You will embarke with your guides on a high speed boat (lunch aboard) for the first day tour. The bear viewing program take you daily to different pristine river valleys and estuaries. Typically, you will travel by boat and disembark to explore the lush river valleys and broad, braided estuaries on foot. In the evening, the dinner (buffet) will be followed by lectures about the local native culture, wildlife and flora. (B, L, D)
- Accommodation : Hotel
Day 3 Klemtu
Early departure for Spirit Bear viewing safari on foot in one of our Spirit Bear rivers. (B, L, D)
- Accommodation : Hotel
Day 4 Klemtu - Vancouver
For the 3 nights package, you can choose between different activities in the morning : explore the rugged coastline in a kayak, take a walk in the rainforest, or choose a cultural tour. Then the water taxi takes you back to Bella Bella for the Flight to Vancouver. Those who chose the 4 nights package will have a choice between: an additional grizzly viewing tours, a whale watching excursion, sea kayaking day trip excursion, an ancient First Nations cultural tour on the Dis’ju site or a spirit auest to one of the pristine valleys in the Spirit Bear Conservancy. (B, L, D) or (B, L) only for the 3 nights package.
Period & budget
When to travel?
The best period for travelling is during the following months:
The budget is an indication of the price per person, subject to availability. Your local agent will send you a customized quote with the exact price. The price can vary according to availability, level of services, period of travel, number of participants, booking time frame and other items.
- Return airfare from Vancouver to Bella Bella
- Shuttle from Bella Bella Airport to Bella Bella dock
- Round trip water taxi from Bella Bella to Spirit Bear Lodge
- All transportation to bear viewing area
- Professionnal guides services on all programs and tours
- Full day excursions to main grizzly viewing area on day 2 and 3
- Full day excursion optional on day 4: spirit quest to one of the pristine valleys in the spirit bear conservancy, additional grizzly viewing tour, whale-watching, ancient first nations cultural tour, sea kayacking. (only for the 4 night package)
- Half day morning optional excursions on departure day: kayak paddle along the shores south of Klemlu, a rainforest walk or a cultural tour.
- 3 or 4 nights accommodation in private ocean view room at Spirit Bear Lodge with private bathroom.
- 9 or 12 meals
- Applicable taxes
- Air travel (except round trip flight from Vancouver to Bella Bella)
- Gratuity for staff (recommended 20$ cdn per day per guest for duration of stay)
- Personal expenses
Budget & exchange
- Rain jacket or poncho and pants (we have a supply of rubber boots and rain gear available for guest use in average sizes)
- Waterproof boots or rubber boots
- Fleece or wool jacket
- Fleece or wool sweater
- Long sleeve shirt
- Warm pants
- Long underwear (thermal)
- Extra shoes or sandals
- Wool socks
- Warm hat/rain hat with brim or ball cap
- Warm gloves
- Sun hat
- Sunglasses and retainer
- Toiletries (biodegradable)
- Personal Medication (clearly labelled)
- Small backpack or bag to carry camera and belongings during the day
- Dry bag(s) or heavy duty zip lock bags to go inside your backpack
- Water bottle
- Camera and film
- Small novel or journal
- Binoculars (recommended)
- Personal thermos
- Insect repellent (some have commented this shouldn’t be optional – depends on your susceptibility)
- Personal snacks if desired (we will provide)
- Polypropylene liner socks and/or glove liners
- Hiking Poles (recommended if you need extra support when walking over uneven terrain)
- A fair economical repartition
- The improvement of local teams’ working conditions and their awareness of the protection of the environment
- The information of travelers about respecting the local population and environment and the collection of their feelings at their return.
- Avoid letting waste out, throw it in the trash can or bring it with you
- Use potable water sparingly (take a shower instead of a bath and report any leaks) and avoid wasting it (use biodegradable soap to wash yourself)
- Avoid damaging cultural sites: don’t touch the statues, don’t move the stones and objects
- Exchange instead of giving (too Important gifts can destabilize the local economic stability of the country depending on their living standards)
- When taking a walk, especially in some fragile ecosystems, observe the fauna from afar, do not go beyond beaten roads, limit stamping and do not bring any souvenirs: give up picking rare flowers picking fossils...
- In some hotels, you can have individual air conditioning. It is advised to systematically switching it off when you’re out of the room to avoid energetical overconsumption and greenhouse gas emission.